Something you have to do before every performance.
First and foremost, I need to stay healthy. As you probably already know, taking taking care of one’s self starts long before arriving at the theater. Last October I wrote 5 Tips for Actors to Stay Healthy, so in conjunction with those tips to keep me feelin’ good, I also do the following before showtime:
- If it’s early in the run of the show I’ll review the script, study difficult lines/beats, and any notes from the director.
- Check and set props/costumes.
- Relax body and mind during a 10 minute physical/vocal warm-up.
- Go to the bathroom.
- Remind scene partners and myself to have fun, break a leg, and have a great show!
- Stop thinking about what comes next and enjoy the journey.
What do YOU do before every performance? Do you have any special rituals before “places” is called?
Have a great weekend, friends!