What information do we need for our marriage license?

What information do we need for our marriage license?

2017-09-16T14:10:51+00:00September 16th, 2017|

In Minnesota, as per MN § 517.08:

  • Full legal names
  • Dates of birth
  • Places of birth
  • Social security numbers (if one has been issued)
  • Current ages
  • Current address to include the county where that address is located
  • Any previous marriage information (i.e., date of divorce, county, and state where it took place, name of court, date of death); no divorce documents are required
  • Legal name after marriage
  • Address after marriage

In Wisconsin, as per WI § 765.09:

  • Photo ID, such as a driver’s license, state ID card, Passport, etc.
  • Proof of residency for the past 30 days. Application must be made in the county where either the bride or groom is a resident. If both parties live outside of Wisconsin, you must apply in the county where the ceremony will take place.
  • Social security numbers (if one has been issued)
  • Certified copy of birth certificates.
  • If previously married; death certificate, divorce judgement papers (a six-month waiting period is required after your divorce before you can apply for a marriage license) or court annulment certificate.
  • If you are under the age of 18, a consent form must be signed by both parents or legal guardian.
  • Application must be made between 5 and 30 days prior to the wedding (not more than 30 days before, and not less than 5 days before).
  • Fee: $100.00
  • Both of the parties must make application in person.
  •  Bride and groom should be prepared to let the County Clerk’s Office know the date of the wedding ceremony, what county they will be married in, what municipality (city, village or township), name of the officiant, officiant mailing address and telephone number.